Thursday, June 26, 2008

Walking Louie

It's nice to unwind after a day at the orifice by taking a walk with Louie. Last night, Tali accompanied us and I knew beforehand that she was jockeying for a little park time.

Actually it's the local playground adjacent to a schoolyard. It's nice as far as park/playgrounds go and Tali has been hanging out on swings there since she was six months old. Old habits are hard to break. As we rounded the park, we went in for a swing. Louie is also training to be a circus dog and he does his twirl down the circular slide. He's getting pretty brave about it.

As Tali swung, there was a group of three teen-ish age boys filling up water balloons while three young boys vied for their attention by name calling. The older kids were high on the annoying meter and seemed to delight in teasing the younger boys, spraying them with water. The younger boys' father was nearby and for the life of me, I could not understand him allowing it. But hey, that's just me - Serial Mom. The teen-ish boys went up onto the slide play area while the younger boys stayed on below throwing sticks up at them. Of course, the older boys goaded them with jeers as to why they were even bothering, they couldn't hit them anyway. Some not too nice language was also used.

At this particular juncture, Tali, Louie and I were making our way towards the park gates. Tali was slightly behind me when I heard the ringleader teen grumble "*&^%! Who hit me?!" I turned to see a slight glint in Tali's eyes and raised an eyebrow. "Was that you?" I asked.

"Yes," she giggled and added "I didn't like how they were teasing the little boys; and one time he even bothered Julian!"

Normally, I do not condone this sort of sinking to the lowest common denominator, but I gave her a high five. The only thing I admonished her for was sharing the information about him bothering Julian after we had left. To which she replied, "Never mind sticks, you would have uprooted a tree to throw at him!"

So perhaps my Serial Mom inclinations are not so carefully concealed.

11 comments:

Doug The Una said...

I think I'm pearl-handled revolver I ordered for Tali's birthday. You're still getting the wooden stake, though.

Doug The Una said...

*I think I'm cancelling

Nessa said...

Very funny story. I "high 5" Tali, too. I like her patience in getting even. Bodes well for her future abilities to wait and take advantage of her opportunities; D

Tom & Icy said...

Revenge is a dish best served cold.

tsduff said...

I think we all have a bit of hidden "Serial Mom" within..., especially when it has to do with our childrens' wellbeing. She's a smart one, that Tali.

I would like to watch Louie twirl down the slide.

Shari said...

You go, girl. Sticks up for her brother, even if it was belated.

I don't like hearing kids (that is, when I *hear* it, grin) use bad language around my kids. It's the shock factor. Kids love to swear to look cool and rebellious. What's with that father anyway??

Claire said...

Go Tali! *high 5*

G said...

Doug, I'm sure she'd use it judiciously. And the wooden stake, well I'm tearing up a bit - thank you.

Nessa, I like that positive spin.

T&I, indeed it is.

Terry, we do, don't we? I think I might have to take a little video... :)

Shari, they may fight at home, but outside blood is always thicker than water.

I agree. I usually will admonish them, but in this case the dad was blatantly letting it go which for the life of me, I don't get.

Claire :)

Ariel the Thief said...

Men have nothing to afraid of in the family of two women like that!

It was funny to picture Doug as a pearl-handled revolver.

G said...

They have nothing and everything to fear :) Hahaha - it continues to be funny.

Hobbes said...

Good story and good for Tali too.