Saturday, April 26, 2008

SATURDAY SPIN

Gather round children because today’s spin is one of a kind outstanding, if I do say so myself, and I do. Today we are spinning Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings. Sharon and the Dap-Kings are as soulful and funkified as the day is long and that’s without checking the clock once. According to their Wikipedia blurb, “Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings are widely considered to be at the forefront of a revivalist movement that aims to recapture the feeling of soul and funk music as it was at its height in the late 1960’s to mid 1970’s.” The sound is authentic as they record on analog equipment using vintage instruments. In my opinion they do that with the added caveat of sounding brand new and fresh at the same time.

According to NPR, The Dap-Kings contributed to more than half of Amy Winehouse's tracks on her breakthrough album Back to Black, and has enjoyed a breakthrough of its own with this year's 100 Days, 100 Nights. They also toured as backing band in the US for Amy Winehouse who you may recall won a grammy for her record this past year. Where is the justice? If there were, Sharon Jones would have been nominated and accepting instead. But she weighs more than 95 pounds, is not visibly tattooed up and down her body and hasn’t been seen on PageSix running half naked through the London night. Good riddance to old rubbish I say and make way for Sharon Jones. End of rant.

Without further adieu, Sharon performing live in Paris with the Dap-Kings Let Them Knock:



Listen to on: NPR segment

MY SPACE:

Daptone Records

Posting early as we have company for the weekend so hope you enjoy yours and Chag Sameach.

8 comments:

Doug The Una said...

Fantastic. The singing and the music are throwbacks. These kids today don't know music.

G said...

Yeah Doug, kids today. They are fantastic, I agree. Enjoy your hike.

Jeff and Charli Lee said...

I don't even know how Rehab won a Grammy. It's not even that good of a song. Sharon is the real deal as far as I'm concerned. Although there seems to be a conspicuous lack of blues harp in this tune ;-)

G said...

Jeff, I agree on all points. Maybe you should send her a certain clip... ;)

Jeff and Charli Lee said...

Maybe I'll overdub some harp on her tune and send it to her. But then she'd offer me a touring job and I'd have to turn it down and then I'd be depressed... So maybe it's not such a great idea after all. ;-)

G said...

Ariel, indeed!

Jeff, maybe you should just stick to tapping out a beat to your blinker. You'll be happier that way. It's for the best :)

tsduff said...

Gut Yontiff (I learned some new words today after having to Google what you said :-)).

Man alive, I could listen to Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings all day - she's got it down. Nice - and sorry I'm around to see you so late.

G said...

Terry, nicely done :) and thank you. You're never late here, the party just continues. She is something, isn't she?

Actonbell, that's exactly what I thought as well - timeless. Glad you enjoyed and nice to see you!