Friday, April 11, 2008

PETE'S PICKS on SATURDAY SPIN

I'm sitting at my desk in work the other day and the phone rings.
"G" says I.
"Start wearing purple, wearing purple..." sings a voice in a bad Ukrainian accent, yet somehow familiar.
"Uh, green is sort of my color" I counter.

"Gogol Bordello - have you heard of them?" asks my brother Peter on the other end.
"Sounds familiar - do tell." I encourage him on.

And tell he does - of Ukrainians, Russians, Israelis - gypsy music, punk, ska?

"I'll check em out." I promise. And now I'm glad that I did. One thing that I've read is that if you get the chance to see them live, do so! Now!

So here go the links:

The Band's site: Gogol Bordello.com

NPR: for details and concert footage.

MySpace: for, well some more of their music.

And now some visuals:



Maybe I should rethink the whole green thing.

Have a great weekend, Shabbat Shalom and a general plentiful of all things pleasing.

from the DJ formerly known as Lampsha (which sounds rather at home with the Gogol Bordello).

8 comments:

Doug The Una said...

You're right. He makes an excellent case.

I'm really happy to have the DJ formerly known as Lampsha back.

Jeff and Charli Lee said...

Cool song! Now excuse me while I go change. I don't really have a choice.

G said...

Doug, glad to be back and thanks. Surely, you have something purple in your wardrobe...

Jeff, yeah, he was pretty direct about it. It is pretty cool, isn't it?

Ariel the Thief said...

Pretty shoes he has! They give a real drunken inn feeling, I enjoy it, and hey, finally someone pronounces "for" as it is written.

Doug, did you get the line about Diogenes?

Hobbes said...

I agree with him. Especially if, like Pansi, one wears purple on the buttocks.

G said...

Ariel, yes he does. You just know a good time is had by all with this crowd. Glad you enjoyed.

Goes back to take a closer listen...


Hobbes, I think Pansi should join the Gogol Bordello! She'd be perfect. Maybe they could get a gig at Ugly Grace's (is that dive still open?).

tsduff said...

I have a perfect purple shirt - and I'm getting my accordian out now to do a sort of instrumental kareoki to that song... wow, loved it! Apparently your brother is almost as good at spinning as you.

G said...

Terry, you should join them! I can see you now with your accordian.

My brother's better actually. He's has an encyclopedic knowledge of music from the 60's (and prior) to present. If I'm ever stumped on a band or song, he's the man I call.

Now squeeze that box!